Thursday, March 15, 2012

Top 10 Reasons Why I love being a Missionary


Now that my mission is coming closer to a close, I've taken time to reflect on the things I've learned. I've learned I love being a missionary. Although I could write a million different reasons and examples of why I love my mission and what I've learned I've tried to summarize it to 10 different categories.
Every missionary and mission is different, but these are my 10 reasons why I LOVE being a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

1) Closer to God and Christ
As a missionary you pray more than ever before in your life. You feel God's love guiding you and directing you along the way through the Holy Ghost. Their love and support really can lift you up and carry you through anything. The times that have been the hardest on my mission I have felt God's love for me the most.
I truly have come closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know that He has felt everything I have and understands me. I've learned to rely on His guidance because I realize I am nothing without God. God trusts me when I do what He asks, and He has blessed me abundantly. We may feel at times that God 'owes us' something for what we've done..but really we are eternally in debt to Him. I learned to turn my will to God. I decided to do whatever He asks because I've come to realize that He truly does know what is best for me.
Alma 29:9-10  I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do anot bglory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

2)Learn to Love
The amount of love you feel for others I think triples..at least. You can literally feel God's love for others. It is a beautiful thing to feel. You may not know them very well..but you literally know they are a child of God and can feel the love from heaven for them. The meaning of love changes to something deeper and more profound than ever.
The scripture 2 Nephi 33:3 becomes very real when Nephi says: I bpray continually for them by day, and mine ceyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.
They become your family. My companions, the people I've taught, my neighbors..anyone I have come in contact with I can feel love for them I never would have felt before. Love is different..it is purer it is deeper. My capability to love has increased.  Even with the dissapointments..no matter what others do..you will always love them because you have learned to have a taste of what Christ-like love is really like. Alma 29:1-2 
3) Closer to Family
 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the atrump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and acome unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.

Even though you may be miles away from your family..you grow closer to them than ever before. I have never felt so much love from my family or have had so much love for them. You realize how much they've done for you..sacrificed and prayed for you. I literally feel my family's prayers lifting me up so I can go on. 
Every P-Day (Monday) we have the opportunity to read their emails and email them back. The letters of encouragement and support overwhelm me. I see how blessed I really am. My teenage self would have never beleived I would come to be this way! My parents example for me has really helped me in my mission because of the good people that they are and I've become more grateful for them. You may miss them from time to time but you know they are in the Lord's hands and He loves them. They may have made mistakes before but I know they did their best and I hope that they realize it's the same way with me.  
4)Seeing the Gospel Change Lives
Seeing the joy of the Gospel in people's lives is my greatest treasure I have found on my mission. I have seen people's countenance's literally change. I have seen the glow of the Spirit on their face after they received an answer to their prayers. When they've said "I know the Book of Mormon is true" or "I felt God's love for me"..that moment for me is one of the most beautiful sights I have ever experienced in this life. 
 Some people have to completely change their lifestyle for God--and they do it. They have challenges but God helps them overcome them. To see people once bitter and now peaceful..once a broken home to now healing..to willingly follow God and leave their troubles behind.. is a miracle. My family back home has changed as well and myself. My testimony builds everytime someone else's testimony is.
5) Self Discipline
I have never had more self disciplilne. Waking up at 6:30 am is just one of the many things that are part of the gig as a missionary. You  learn to stay occupied. You are never idle. If you are, you realize you need to be doing something productive. Life becomes an opportunity to do..not just live through. I have learned I feel more accomplished when I'm doing things I may not exactly want to do but it feels so much better than being lazy and do what I would typically want to do. I want to be successful and productive and not lazy. I can do hard things! You also learn to put your pride and insecurities on a shelf. I have set this time to dedicate to the Lord..it's no time to hold back and be selfish. You put away 'worldly' things such as dating or listening to regular music or watching movies and tv for this time.
It may sound hard but I consider those things part of the easiest things to put on hold while being a missionary.  I've found that living this way I'm able to enjoy life in a more simpler way which may also be a fuller way..life isn't about watching movies, although I do enjoy them! 
6) Meet People I would have never met before
I love meeting new people! I have met so many people I never would have met before if it wasn't for being a missionary. We get to randomly talk to people on the street about God, their lives and future and dreams.
 I've known people for 5 minutes who have told me their life story and cried telling me that God was there for them in the darkest times of their life. It is such a humbling, beautiful experience to witness that. Everyone out here has helped me in some way. My companions, fellow missionaries, neighbors, people in the church, people we teach and random strangers. I've been able to be apart of their lives and that means so much to me. I have created friendships that will last forever.

7) Understanding Increase of the Gospel
I've learned so much more about the scriptures and the Gospel it's unbelievable. For the first time in my life I feel like I'm understanding the scriptures and making sense of the stories and how to apply them in my life and in others. The Lord has really helped me understand His Gospel and what that even means.I love reading the scriptures! You also remember scriptures and where they are--especially at a moment's need. The Holy Ghost has finally been able to teach me from the scriptures everyday because I dedicate the time and the Spirit is able to guide and direct me through my studies. I know that the reason this is happening is so I can teach it to God's children and help them come closer to Him.
8) Marriage Prep
There's no kinda marriage prep like a mission! You literally are with someone 24/7 who you may or may not get along with. You learn quickly communication is key and that the way to solve problems is through comprimises. Sometimes there really isn't a right or a wrong and your opinion is not fact haha. It helps to be away from home where you can't exactly lean on mom and dad to help you out constantly. The people you teach are in a way..like your children. You worry about them. You LOVE them. You pray about them for their concerns and needs and less for your own.
There is a thing called 'Comp Inventory' we do weekly where you start off by telling them goals you want to set. Then you tell each other what you think the other one is good at or just compliments. Then you ask for improvement and solve conflicts and then set goals to help resolve the conflicts. Then you close with a prayer. It is a tool that I feel has been priceless to me as I've learned to express myself and to tell others of my feelings. You definetly learn to pick your battles! You learn to see what you want in your own family and things that you do not want. You realize you really can make any relationship work if both sides are willing to try.

 9) Service
I love doing service! I have found joy in serving others everyday. I look for opportunities to serve..something I rarely did before my mission. I thought of work as a negative word. It meant I had to put out effort.
Now I love to work. It feels so good to accomplish things and to feel exhausted at the end of the day because you know you are trying your best. I love not feeling selfish and looking to lift others up. You become less focused on yourself-which everyone needs. It also can be really fun!
Alma 29:14 But I do not joy in my own asuccess alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren, who have been up to the land of Nephi.

10) Understanding Life
I have found true joy in this experience. My purpose has become clearer. Why I'm here..what I need to do and that I'm really meant to help others--not just myself--come back to Christ. Worldly pleasures are no longer necessary. The commandments and being obedient make me happy. I love the Strength of Youth pamphlet! The church rules and guidelines make sense and bring joy in my life. I love knowing what God expects of me because I have greater joy when I am doing what He wants of me. God has created our lives and given us the perfect chance to grow.  

 Alma 29:16 Now, when I think of the success of these my brethren my soul is carried away, even to the separation of it from the body, as it were, so great is my ajoy.
 17 And now may God grant unto these, my brethren, that they may sit down in the kingdom of God; yea, and also all those who are the fruit of their labors that they may go no more out, but that they may praise him forever. And may God grant that it may be done according to my words, even as I have spoken. Amen.
And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember awhat the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

Click HERE to view 10 things every missionary should know! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO proud of you and all you've learned!!!! Aren't missions just the BEST??!! Love you and amen to your post!! :)

    ReplyDelete